Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Beyond My Thoughts





My brother Ben won the guitar competition at Renofest last month. It was a great accomplishment, and we were all very proud of him.  One of the songs he played was the Irish folk tune, "Danny Boy."  Or to some,"Londonderry Air." And still to others, "He Looked Beyond My Fault and Saw My Need," by Dottie Rambo. Lots of information there. You're very welcome.


And so the last couple times that we were in concert, my dad wanted Ben to relive the moment and perform the song. And, might I add, his playing it brings tears to my eyes every time. Simply beautiful.  My dad announced that Ben would be playing the song we all know, "He Looked Beyond My Thoughts and Saw My Needs."


The first time we all giggled. As a father's children (regardless of age) occasionally do.  The second time we all began to loud whisper down the stage, as bluegrass musicians occasionally do, "It's faauultsss, nnot thooouuuughtssss!".....


But then I started thinking, as I occasionally do...


He did look beyond my thoughts. 


When my children are sick, and the temps are climbing, and the dishes are piling, and the uncertainty is rising, and I'm thinking, I can do this on my own...He saw that I'd need comfort and peace, and He gave me His Word. 


When I'm being hard to get along with, and I'm not on the best-of-friend terms with any of my best of friends, and the silence is deafening, and I'm thinking that it's everybody's problem but my own...He saw that I'd need something to sooth my soul, and He gave me music.


When the night is long and dark and scary, and I've spent it tossing and turning, and thinking that I need an answer right now, He saw that I'd need to see the beauty in patience, and He lit up the sky with a breathtaking sunrise. 


My thinking of a great God in heaven, far away, but requiring my worship. And He came near, and showed me Himself.


My thinking of black or white, wrong or right, live the law.  And He came near, and showed me Grace.


Now don't get me wrong. I have a few faults that I wouldn't mind Him looking beyond. Really? 
This chocolate worshiping, 
Monday-morning slothful, 
mad-at-her-neighbor's-dog, 
all-you-can-eat-chinese-buffet glutton?  
Yes, yes, it's true. 


But I'm so glad He looked beyond my faults...and my thoughts...and saw my needs.






Isaiah 55:8-9

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I have to just let you know I read every week since you started. I am taken right to your kitchen table and given this blessing of your thoughts. Thanks for this one - it is something I am learning/experiencing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome~I hope it's a blessing...Straight from the kitchen table :) Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete