Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Overcoming some pretty tough dirt




Flowers are springing up everywhere here in the Cockman neighborhood. 

Some that we don't even remember planting were hiding under the bitter ground all winter, and now have broken through some pretty tough dirt and are joyfully drinking up the rain and dancing in the sunlight.

That's quite a persistent little seed down in that cold earth. To endure the chill. To withstand the months of darkness. To press against the hindrance 
above it. To finally break through the barriers and reach for the sun with all its might.




If that flower were a preacher
I'll bet that he would say
Press on to the high calling
Letting nothing in your way

If that flower were a singer
I'll bet she'd almost blush
When grateful gusts of melodies
At once began to gush

If that flower were a teacher
I'll bet he'd count the ways
He'd patiently kept prodding,
Nudging, toward more hopeful days

If that flower were a girl like me
Who'd overcome some gloom
I'll bet she'd soak up all the sun
And let her testimony bloom!
                ~C

Have you thought there was no hope, but something just wouldn't let you give up? And against the odds, you endured. Have you been under some pretty tough dirt? Have burdens weighed down on you, but something gave you strength to press against them? And you pushed right on through to daylight. To happiness. To bliss. To drinking up the rain and dancing in the sunlight.



~Song of Solomon 2:10~13
My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;
The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.~






2 comments:

  1. The time of the singing of birds is come... Love that sentence. Enjoyed your writing as usual. Thanks for sharing.
    PS. Dirt is less tough when earthworms help out. Guess that means slimy crawling things can be a blessing too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always grateful for your writing. Your message always seems to come at the right time. February and March are pretty hard months for me until I see the first yellow bells bloom and the first crocus blossoms of spring. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete