Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Don't cry over spilled milk

It did not softly whisper. It didn't gently brush my cheek with little drops of sunshine. It didn't softly lay my robe across my shoulders and place a rose in my hand. No, after a week of vacation, Monday morning was cruel. It was bright.  It was blaring.  It was unrelenting.


And then I crawled out of bed.


And the pattern for my day was laid. 


At breakfast, after burned toast, spilled milk, which I almost cried over, and our dog, Nutmeg, stealing my sausage, the pattern for my day was indeed cut. No turning back now.


Spelling woes and a stuffy nose...annoying calls and lost baby dolls
careless math and mama's wrath...
tongue-burning noodle soup, cleaning icky dog poop
laundry piled high, oh me, oh my...


And then suddenly, in the midst of all my misfortunes, I just stopped. Except for the half-hearted request of blessings on the sausage right before it became dog-snatched and devoured, and except for that one time I called his name when the milk was heading for the floor, I hadn't even talked to God today. What could I say now? Thank You for this mess?


And that's exactly what I did. Outside. On my swing. Alone. Well, if I could ignore the pouty face of a bad doggy ogling me through the window. So, almost alone. And in the quiet stillness of a place so deep in my heart, this is what I heard.


They prevented me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my stay. 


Psalm 18:18. 


How beautiful are the words. How fitting and timely. I don't know who they were for David. Saul...other enemies...
But for me, they became everything about this day. 
What a calamity.
What a day.
What a they.
But....
What a Stay!!


And I did thank Him for the mess...for the children, for the dog leering at the window, for the constant ringing of the phone, for the milk, and for everything and everyone else that helped make it.


I'd be lying if I said that from that moment on my day was perfect, with roses and Prince Charming and happily ever afters. But my little girl did pick flowers for me from the backyard.  And my prince did come home and take his shoes off outside so as not to dirty my mopped floors. And at bedtime, with clean floors, school work finished, laundry done, and Nutmeg in her crate, I'd be truthful in saying my day of calamity ended happily...with the Lord as my stay.









1 comment:

  1. What a reminder to me to find the beauty in the reality of life! "This the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!"

    ReplyDelete